Reduce freckles, age spots, and larger patches of discoloured skin with our medical-grade Cynosure Laser Pigmentation Removal.
Laser Pigmentation Removal works to safely and effectively reduce the appearance of freckles, pigmentation, and post-trauma pigmentation including acne scars and age spots. The laser targets only the pigmented lesion in the skin which absorbs the light, without damaging the surrounding skin. The laser heats up and shatters the pigment. The pigment is then drawn to the surface without harming the surrounding tissue. Once drawn to the surface, the pigmented lesions will fade or dry and flake off the treated area, leaving the skin with an even tone and complexion.
Your body contains a pigment called melanin, which determines the colour of your skin, hair and eyes. People with darker skin types tend to have more melanin in their skin cells than those with lighter skin – but imbalances and disorders of the skin can lead to inconsistent colouration, patterning and ‘blotches’.
When skin cells are healthy, your skin will appear normal and even. However, when skin cells become damaged or unhealthy, extra melanin is produced to help protect your skin. Alternatively, the cells that produce pigment can be damaged, which prevents melanin production. As a result, parts of your skin may turn lighter (hypopigmentation) or darker (hyperpigmentation), both of which are recognisable skin conditions. This page talks mostly about the symptoms of hyperpigmentation.
What causes pigmentation or hyperpigmentation?
Pigmentation, or hyperpigmentation as it is also known, can occur for a variety of reasons. The effects can also become more obvious as we age, and if left untreated and unprotected can worsen.
Common causes of hyperpigmentation are:
- over-exposure to the sun
- hormonal changes
- medical conditions
Any pigmentation removal treatment that uses medical grade lasers can expect a mild discolouration of pigment before it heals after just a few days.
What special instructions are necessary before and after treatment?
- Avoid the use of Retinol (Vitamin A) 1 week prior to treatment.
- The area being treated cannot be exposed to the sun or sunbed for 2 weeks prior, during and 1 weeksafter treatment.
- No Artificial Tan must be used 2 weeks prior to treatment
- A broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) SPF50 should be applied if area being treated is exposed to the sun.
- Sun exposure decreases the effectiveness of the laser treatment and can increase the chance of post-treatment complications.
- Following the procedure, the treated area may appear darker
- Apply Aloe vera gel, Aloe Vera is a natural botanical with proven hydrating, soothing and healing properties. This soothing gel cools whilst protecting the skin from free-radicals and encourages cell regeneration of healthy skin.
- No Swimming or using hot tubs/whirlpools, also avoid using very hot baths/showers/steam baths or saunas for 48 hours.
- Avoid Sun exposure as describe above. When treatment area is exposed to the sun use a broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen of SPF 50
Frequently Asked Questions
The most common colour is brown, but they can also be red or almost black. These usually occur in adults over 40, but younger people can also get them if they spend a lot of time in the sun. Age spots are completely harmless.
You can prevent age spots from developing on your skin by following these tips:
- Wear SPF (Sun Protection Factor) sunscreen. Use a SPF of 30 or higher when you are outdoors, whether in the sun or not, as UVA light levels can cause damage throughout the year. Reapply every two hours if you are swimming or perspiring.
- Avoid the sun between 10am and 2pm. The sun’s rays are most intense during this time.
- Eating antioxidant food which can be found in fruit – especially intensely coloured fruit such as berries or blackcurrants – and vegetables.
We aim to remove pigmentation within 1-3 sessions
Yes, at Red Beauty Salon Laser Tattoo removal is totally safe. There is an extremely low risk of complications when experienced practitioners operate the correct laser for a given skin type.
For all appointments 50% deposits will be required, your deposit will be refundable if you cancel or re-arrange your appointment with 48 hours notice. If a deposit is not taken and you cancel within 48 hours a 50% deposit will be added to your next appointment.
At Red Beauty , we understand that due to circumstances clients may run late for appointments, however due to time allocated in the salon, if you are running more than ten minutes late we will kindly ask you to reschedule your appointment.