LASER TATTOO REMOVAL
Laser Tattoo Removal allows you to remove unwanted tattoos safely and effectively over a number of sessions. At Red Beauty Salon we use the world renowned Cynosure Revlite Q-Switch Nd:Yag Machine for the best results.
Our RevLite Q-Switched Nd:Yag Laser produces rapid, short pulse widths of energy in order to vibrate the ink and break into down into tiny fragments which are then removed by your body’s own lymphatic system and safely passed out of the body. The short, rapid pulse widths limit the healthy skin’s exposure to heat which makes the treatment safe and fast. We also use a cooling system that delivers air at -4 degrees celsius that provides cooling protection for the skin to increase patient comfort during the treatment,
Your tattoo will require multiple sessions before it is fully removed. The amount of sessions or treatments depends on how large your tattoo is, what sort of ink has been used and the length of time between your sessions. As a rough guide a “professional” tattoo will require between 8-12 sessions. Skin types I-IV respond faster to treatment, the location of the tattoo will also be a factor in considering the amount of treatments required -extremities take longer to remove. Black is the easiest colour to remove, Red and Orange are second easiest and Blue and Greens are the most difficult to remove. We will be able to give you a more accurate estimate during your consultation.
What Does the Treatment Involve?
We use a hand piece which lightly touches your skin to direct the laser. The feeling of each short pulse is usually described as feeling like the ‘snap’ of a rubber band on the skin. In the vast majority of cases, having a tattoo removed using the RevLite is less painful or at worst – only the same, as having the tattoo done.
The session will usually take around 10-30 minutes, depending on the size of the tattoo,
Possible Side Effects of Tattoo Removal
- Post operative erythema, edema and pain
- Scarring, Keloid formation and indentation of the tissue (rare)
- Hypo pigmentation or Hyperpigmentation
Who is not suitable for Tattoo Removal?
- Patients taking Accutane or who have been taking Accutane for the past 6-12 months.
Patients who are on regular daily antibiotics.
- Patients on Anticoagulants
- Any Patients who have Gold Therapy (Past or Present)
- Anyone who is pregnant or planning on immediately becoming pregnant.
- Patients with a history of cold sores to the treatment area should start taking an anti-viral medication one day before treatment and for 3 days after.
- Any Patients who have seizure disorders triggered by light
- Any Patients with a history of Keloids
- Ink Allergies
What special instructions are necessary before and after treatment?
- The area being treated cannot be exposed to the sun or sunbed. For 1064 nm wavelength treatment, avoid sun or sunbed exposure for 2 weeks prior, during and four weeks after treatment.
- For 532nm wavelength treatment, avoid sun or sunbed exposure for at least 6 weeks prior, during and at least 4-6 weeks after final treatment.
- Wait 3 weeks after use of artificial tan before having treatments.
- A broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) SPF50 should be applied whiners exposed to the sun.
- Sun exposure decreases the effectiveness of the laser treatment and can increase the chance of post-treatment complications.
- An anaesthetic cream may be applied before each laser treatment where necessary.
- Shave the area to be treated
- Following the procedure, the treated area may blister and have pinpoint bleeding for a few hours. The area should therefore be treated delicately. If pinpoint bleeding occurs we will put a dressing on the tattoo before you leave the salon.
- Clean treated area daily allowing water or shower to run over the wound, and then pat the area dry.
- Apply Vaseline to the wound and a dressing until the wound heals.
- If crusting occurs do not shave or pick the area, Apply Vaseline up to 4 times a day. Keep the area moist, and let any scab fall off on its own.
- Do Not run or scratch the treated area.
- If swelling occurs, apply ice. Wrap the ice in a soft cloth. Discomfort or stinging may be relieved with paracetamol.
- Try to avoid wearing tight clothing in the area treated for 2-3 days.
- No Swimming or using hot tubs/whirlpools unit the wound heals, also avoid using very hot baths/showers/steam baths or saunas until the wound heals.
- Avoid Sports and/or strenuous exercise until the wound heals. Walking is encouraged.
- Avoid Sun exposure as describe above. When treatment area is exposed to the sun use a broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen of SPF 50
- Apply Bio Oil after 7 days, 2 times a day to reduce the chances of scarring, pigmentation and uneven skin tone. This is a key aftercare procedure, massaging the tattoo can increase blood flow to the area, thus allowing more ink to be re-absorbed and the tattoo to fade faster.
- Contact the clinic if there is any indication of blistering or infection (redness, tenderness or puss)
Frequently Asked Questions
With the appropriate laser technology all skin types can be treated safely.
- It can be a slow process, the body’s own system needs time in-between sessions to break down the pigment and use its own cells to remove the pigment.
- Using massage and Bio oil on the treatment area in between treatments greatly improves results.
As a rough guide a “professional” tattoo will require between 8-12 sessions. Skin types I-IV respond faster to treatment, the location of the tattoo will also be a factor in considering the amount of treatments required -extremities take longer to remove. Black is the easiest colour to remove, Red and Orange are second easiest and Blue and Greens are the most difficult to remove. We will be able to give you a more accurate estimate during your consultation.
The sensation is often described as a flicking of an elastic band onto the skin, the levels of sensitivity vary between people and skin areas. Cold air is blown during the procedure to cool and numb the skin. Emla based anasthetic can be applied onto the area 40 minutes prior to treatment.
Yes, at Red Beauty Salon Laser Tattoo removal is totally safe. There is an extremely low risk of complications when experienced practitioners operate the correct laser for a given skin type.
For all appointments 50% deposits will be required, your deposit will be refundable if you cancel or re-arrange your appointment with 48 hours notice. If a deposit is not taken and you cancel within 48 hours a 50% deposit will be added to your next appointment.
At Red Beauty , we understand that due to circumstances clients may run late for appointments, however due to time allocated in the salon, if you are running more than ten minutes late we will kindly ask you to reschedule your appointment.