Thread Vein Removal
Spider veins – also called thread veins, broken blood vessels, broken veins and capillary veins –are small red, blue or purple veins that usually appear near the surface of the skin on the thighs, calves and ankles but can also appear on the face, they may seem permanent but they can be removed easily and safely using our Cynosure Elite Laser Machine.
Laser spider vein removal treatment involves directing intense light directly at the veins. This causes the blood within them to coagulate and the blood is then diverted to veins deeper below the surface of the skin where it should be.
What are leg thread veins?
Leg thread veins occur when a valve inside a vein stops working properly. Our veins carry blood to the heart and to stop blood flowing backwards, veins have a one-way valve that closes once the blood has passed through. If the valve is damaged or weakened, it could mean that the blood struggles to flow in the correct direction which then causes a small pool inside the vein. This causes the vein to branch out causing the thread vein.
What causes leg thread veins?
Many people who suffer from leg thread veins will find it is genetic. This condition is also found more commonly in women than in men. Also as we age, valves become weaker, so we are more likely to develop leg thread veins. Being overweight can also be a cause, as extra pressure is placed on the legs. Pregnancy can also be a cause due to increased blood moving through the body as well as the extra weight placed on the legs. Also if you sit or stand for extended periods, your heart has to work harder to pump blood in the right direction. Hormones can also have an effect, for example, birth control, as well as menopause, can be a cause, as estrogen can weaken vein valves.
How do we treat thread veins?
The treatment is the use of laser. This will break down unwanted veins using brief pulses of laser light. The light heats up the veins very quickly causing them to collapse in on themselves. The process is called photothermolysis
What is the treatment process and how many sessions will I need?
Depending on the size and number of thread veins, this will differ. We often find that some clients see results after one treatment, whereas others will need a course of three to see optimum results. Treatments are carried out at 6-12 week internals, so plan for the treatment to take around six months
What will my veins look like Immediately After Treatment?
Some smaller veins on the face will disappear straight away, some larger veins may appear darker before they disappear.
Immediatly after treatment your skin will appear red and show signs of slight swelling, we use a cool air device throughout the procedure and immediate after to reduce swelling and redness. This can last up to 48 hours post treatment.
What special instructions are necessary before and after treatment?
- Avoid the use of Retinol (Vitamin A) 1 week prior to treatment.
- Do not take Aspirin or Ibuprofen 24 hours prior to treatment.
- Avoid excessive Alcohol or Caffeine 24 hours prior to treatment
- The area being treated cannot be exposed to the sun or sunbed for 2 weeks prior, during and 1 weeksafter treatment.
- No Artificial Tan must be used 2 weeks prior to treatment
- A broad spectrum (UVA/UVB) SPF50 should be applied if area being treated is exposed to the sun.
- Sun exposure decreases the effectiveness of the laser treatment and can increase the chance of post-treatment complications.
- An anaesthetic cream may be applied before each laser treatment where necessary.
- Shave the area to be treated
- Following the procedure, the treated area may show signs of erythema and edema with redness
- Apply Aloe vera gel, Aloe Vera is a natural botanical with proven hydrating, soothing and healing properties. This soothing gel cools whilst protecting the skin from free-radicals and encourages cell regeneration of healthy skin.
- If swelling occurs, apply ice. Wrap the ice in a soft cloth. Discomfort or stinging may be relieved with paracetamol.
- No Swimming or using hot tubs/whirlpools, also avoid using very hot baths/showers/steam baths or saunas for 48 hours.
- Avoid Sun exposure as describe above. When treatment area is exposed to the sun use a broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen of SPF 50
Frequently Asked Questions
During your consultation, your doctor will discuss your suitability for this treatment. Due to how the laser distinguishes colour, it may not be suitable for people with a darker skin tone. Also, you cannot have this treatment if you have a suntan.
Yes, it is a completely safe and proven treatment. The state-of-the-art lasers we use at sk:n will target the unwanted veins and will not affect the surrounding skin.
Our clients report up to a 75% visible reduction with just one to three treatments. This is a semi-permanent treatment due to the fact that the treatment may in some cases shrink, but not obliterate the thread veins. If this were to happen, the thread vein may reappear in time.
We offer facial thread vein removal on the face and neck, Legs and Ankles.
There are several things you can do to avoid facial thread veins. Avoid high temperatures from saunas, spas, or extreme hot weather. Also, limit excessive exposure to the sun and wear a high factor sun cream everyday throughout the year.
The sensation is often described as a flicking of an elastic band onto the skin, the levels of sensitivity vary between people and skin areas. Cold air is blown during the procedure to cool and numb the skin. Emla based anasthetic can be applied onto the area 40 minutes prior to treatment.
Yes, at Red Beauty Salon Laser Tattoo removal is totally safe. There is an extremely low risk of complications when experienced practitioners operate the correct laser for a given skin type.
For all appointments 50% deposits will be required, your deposit will be refundable if you cancel or re-arrange your appointment with 48 hours notice. If a deposit is not taken and you cancel within 48 hours a 50% deposit will be added to your next appointment.
At Red Beauty , we understand that due to circumstances clients may run late for appointments, however due to time allocated in the salon, if you are running more than ten minutes late we will kindly ask you to reschedule your appointment.